6/26/22

Wakasa Bay Naturalist Club presentation - Kelp Forests and the Urchin Barren dilemma.

 

PC: Yamaguchi-san


PC: Chika

PC: Chika

PC: Chika


Last week I gave a talk to a local naturalist group about the Kelp Forest. The Wakasa Bay Naturalist Club, invited myself as well as Chika and Reiji to give an educational talk about marine ecosystems. Since I had a lot of experience (as well as 100s of photos) with the kelp forest, they asked me to speak to its ecology and the growing Urchin Barren problem. This talk was live translated by my labmate Shoju. 

It was truly an honor to speak. I particularly enjoyed putting the presentation together and answering some poignant questions. It felt good to engage the local community. It felt reminiscent of the science pubs I went to in Santa Barbara. Of course there was a much more focused crowd that all had a keen interest in the subject. I really felt like I was sharing a unique, new experience with this community. This is probably one of my favorite aspects of my fledgling career.

I use to dread the presentation aspect, but I have since learned it was due to piss poor preparation. Obviously I was nervous when I wasn't prepared and wasn't confident in my delivery. Now its about having the discipline to practice and to remain calm while presenting on such topics. The lab itself has helped me with this, as they have us do various presentations throughout the semester. A life skill I am thankful to have, but yet to full master. 

Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment